Thursday, April 3, 2008

According to the Scriptures

1 Cor. 15:3--For I passed on to you as of first importance what I also received – that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures,

According to the Scriptures--I believe this is a place that the people of God are returning. We have wandered away. We have gone into the paths of the world's teachers. We have found them wanting.

I have my own experience in this, and I receive mail from others who have also tasted of the desert realm. Dry. Dusty. Lifeless.

I have tried to have fellowship with those who have left off the Word of God for the new teachers, but I find it lacking in adding to my life. Indeed, I find it draining.

Without the Word of God hidden within our heart, we are not able to fulfill Paul's admonition in Col. 2:8--Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

We were warned about the New Age movement decades ago, but the church went there anyway. Now God is once again calling His people to be People of the Book.

Are you a person of the Book?
Do you have a daily practice of spending time in the Word?
Do you use your knowledge of the Bible when talking with others?

1 comment:

gracie said...

2 Timothy 1:7 We do not possess a spirit of timidity ( KJV says fear), but the spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.
I can speak the will of God and His words have power, and I can speak these in love and they are received, I can exercise self-discipline so the words I choose come from Him and not me.

I need to spend time in God's word to know the words to use, it helps to develop the relationship I have with him and his people. It also helps build healthy relationships with those outside his kingdom. These relationships can lead to God's work in their lives as I am faithful to remain in the Word of God, not the word of man.