Monday, February 18, 2008

A Bible Reading Plan

Read the Bible FOR a Year,

DON'T Read the Bible IN a Year


As Christians, we believe the Bible is The Word of God. It is God’s word to us. Most churches state in their creed that the Bible is their standard for faith and morals. Paul writes to Timothy that the Bible is “profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2Timothy 3:16 KJV)


The “man of God” that Paul refers to is firstly, one who is a minister to God’s people; and, secondly, anyone who wants to follow the Lord. We are all to be completely “furnished unto all good works.” The Bible gives us the necessary instructions for how to do that.


Being able to read the Bible for one’s own pleasure, profit, and growth is a privilege we relinquish at great peril. Yet, there are many today (2007) who no longer take the time to read the Book of Books. Of those who do, precious few know how to read with understanding. Thankfully, the Holy Spirit is able to overcome our ignorance if our heart is pure. (Matt. 5:8)


We should study the Bible for at least three reasons:


1. To know what it says


2. To know what it says about Jesus

3. To know what it says to me.


The first reason is simply to become familiar with the text itself. There are 66 books in the Bible, and each one of them was written for a different purpose. Some contain historical data; others contain wisdom sayings, others contain prophetic utterances. However, every single one of the 66 books has something to say about Jesus, either prophetically or historically.


The second reason takes us beyond the mere reading of the words on the pages. It requires understanding to know how the particular book relates to anything about Jesus. Often, that understanding can only come from someone helping us to understand. (See Acts 8:30-31)


Thirdly, we should study the Bible to know what God says to each of us. It is more important to know what God is saying to me than it is to know what God is saying about others. Yet, this is the most common outcome of Bible study today—using the Bible to prove that so-and-so shouldn’t be doing such-and-such.


God has something important to say to you today. One of the ways He will do that is through your continual reading and application of His Word.


Reading is important. Reading with understanding is more important.


In the same way that Phillip asked the Ethiopian, “Do you understand what you read?”, so I ask you, “Do you understand what you read?” more>>>


The Lord is after the quality of a changed life, not how many words one can read in a year. Quality—not quantity. That is the Lord’s desire. Make it your desire also.

Discussion:

Are you one who got lost trying to read the whole Bible in a year?

Tell us about your experience.

Did you read the Bible in a year?

Tell us about your experience.


http://www.practicalbibleteaching.com/

3 comments:

kathy bradley said...

Hi~
I agree with your method of Bible reading, especially for new believers; and I can attest to the fact that you read the Bible for sixteen hours a day when you first became a Christian ~ I was there :>-)))))

Personally, I prefer the Topical study of the Bible. I do read through books at night, one chapter at a time; but I study topics for fun and information. This gives me an idea of all the Biblical verses on that one topic. I feel like I have an exhaustive idea of God's Word to me on that topic when I'm done. ~ kat

Jen said...

I am a reader so these methods help me. But, I know a few people who do not read even a magazine. They have found hearing the word on cd's have help overcome them not being able to read the word. Are there any other suggestions for non-readers? I've also seen that the bible is now on a DVD in a formate that you can interact with the word on the screen. Any comments?

Dale Hill said...

Jen,
I was not aware that the Bible had been put on dvd. I "googled" that and came up with much information. It seems that many people relate to this form of hearing the word of God. Nothing to be sneezed at.

For me, I would not be able--as one person commented on the site--to play the dvd and read my bible at the same time. But it may work for them.

For non-readers the cd version is an excellent way to go. Of course, dvd could be also. But, I would still follow the same formula as outlined in the article, if one is trying to become intimately familiar with the word of God.

I would encourage those who are non-readers that use the cd version to play them whenever they are in the car, as well as when they are at home. Play them also at work in the background, if you are allowed to play your own music.

We lose a lot of valuable time during our commute to and from work listening to commercial radio--even Christian radio. we could be filling our minds with something much more valuable than what those stations offer.

I only went to one site for the dvd. http://www2.biblesondvd.com/ I didn't see anything about an interactive version; but I didn't stay too long, either.

If you are thinking of purchasing one of these, I would invite you to my website where I will be offering the Bible on DVD within a couple of days. www.practicalbibleteaching.com